When things are investigated, knowledge is extended. When knowledge is extended, the will becomes sincere. When the will is sincere, the mind is correct. When the mind is correct, the self is cultivated. -- Confucius
Politically correct ideals are garbage: true wisdom comes from decades of deep thought and neutral observation. Only a so-called sociopath could ascertain wisdom from this crazy world in a neutral way. Cool thoughts- uncorrupted by modern politics, social norms, or societal ideals- are required for wisdom. Questioning everything, and going against the grain on all universally accepted norms is the path to true intelligence. The Gods notice this.

11/19/10

Beware Doctors and their Pills

After watching my dad become progressively sicker for years and then die, I had no reason to trust what a doctor says. He took all their advice, trusted them, and ended up dying from an awful disease anyway.

It is a fact that no doctor will explain to you what a medicine does, how it works, or why it is the fix for you. Nor do they explain the reasoning behind their instructions. After waiting for an hour past your appointment time, you can expect to be put into an exam room for another half hour, and then a nurse will come in. She will check your vitals and ask you what is wrong. These notes are glanced at by the doctor who rushes in another half hour later. He then tells you what he thinks is wrong and says to take this prescription. He rushes out, and you are very lucky if you get one question answered. This is medical "care".

I don't know exactly how many prescriptions my dad was on at any one time, but it was around a dozen average. Doctors have no regard for contraindications, heaping on the pills. Ozzy is a good example of this: he was on 42 prescriptions at once for awhile, and all he really needed was one for his parkinsonian syndrome. In the end they are all for naught, as the side effects and incompatibilities of them all will make you sicker than the alleged illnesses.

A real illness that needs medicine, such as heart problems, diabetes, etc. should be treated including with medicines. But the vast majority of prescriptions are unnecessary and harmful.

What did women do before there was premarin or prempro? Suffer in agony as menopause hits? What about PMS, or even the pre-PMS that they are trying to tell you requires a renamed prozac pill? And this whole ADD fairy tale is really getting out of hand. Before that ailment was thought up, kids were kids, and unruly ones were brats to be disciplined. Unruly kids used to be unruly kids, but they were later labeled as 'brain diseased', then 'MBD'-minimal brain disease, then 'minimal brain dysfunction', then 'ADD'; now it is 'ADHD'. Now they say at least 60% of them need to be doped up on mind altering chemicals. Add these to the lengthy lists of pseudo-ailments invented by the drug companies.

A lot of drugs, especially expensive ones, are fed to you long after you stop needing them as well. One has to wonder: how long could it possibly take to reduce cholesterol levels if you take a special pill for it? My dad was on an expensive statin drug for decades. Since these type of drugs have a side effect of muscle degeneration and memory loss, I wonder how many old people are senile and weak just because of their pills?

So I have not an ounce of trust for a doctor's advice. When my doctor told me to take a new pill for diabetes, I found it was not working. I stopped taking it since it caused me ongoing diarrhea anyway. I learned three years later, from a CDE- not a doctor- that that medicine takes three to six weeks to start working, and the side effect of diarrhea goes away in about a month. If only someone had told me that before, I would have never stopped taking it. In that case my vision and my overall health would be much better right now. But the doctor did not tell me. Nor did a second doctor. Nor either of their nurses, nor any pharmacists.

So now I investigate every prescription before I take it. I am sick to death of my arm hurting from tendonitis- going on a year now. So I asked for an anti-inflammatory for it. My current doc prescribed me flexeril. I looked that up and found it is not anti-inflammatory, it is just a strong pain killer. Many people younger than me have had strokes from taking it. I save the pills in case I cut a finger off someday, but I won't take them for tendon pain.

More disturbing is the scenario with hypertension. I have it, and have ignored it for years. Every doc and nurse I have seen told me it was high and I should take pills for it. Whenever I asked why, I was never ever given a direct answer. I knew of no reason that it mattered, since I felt fine. My current doc has prescribed an ACE inhibitor for it. I didn't take it, and she asked why my pressure was still high, thinking the pills did not work. I told her I did not take them, for fear of a side effect I had heard of. She said it never happens. I looked into it, and found that wasn't true. I later learn that hypertension is serious because it inflames the arteries causing plaque buildup and blockage, which eventually causes heart attack and stroke. I also learned that ACE inhibitors help protect your kidneys from diabetes related damage. So I looked up the incidence of the aforementioned side effect, and found it is less than one percent. I decided to chance it, started taking the pills, and feel much better. After years of bull, I had to learn on my own from a handbook on diabetes what no medical professionals would tell me.

It's amazing I am alive. No thanks to the doctors, nurses, or pharmacists.

I don't want to imply that people should just pitch their prescriptions, but I do recommend that everyone look up every pill they take. Learn what it is for, how long it is normally needed, if it interacts with other medicines you take, and what the side effects can be. Then find out the incidence of those side effects as well. If you don't look this stuff up, you will never know because no one is going to just inform you, not even the doctor. It's interesting to imagine how many lives would be improved and even saved if people did what I just said. Start with yourself, then check on your parents and grandparents pills, and so on. Never blindly trust a doctor.


(note: Did you know that ritalin is synthetic cocaine, and that prozac is fluoride? you'd better find out what you are really taking!)


prescriptions kill
so do doctors


 (c) james platt

No comments:

Post a Comment

constructive comments appreciated. name calling and links deleted.