When things are investigated, knowledge is extended. When knowledge is extended, the will becomes sincere. When the will is sincere, the mind is correct. When the mind is correct, the self is cultivated. -- Confucius
Politically correct ideals are garbage: true wisdom comes from decades of deep thought and neutral observation. Only a so-called sociopath could ascertain wisdom from this crazy world in a neutral way. Cool thoughts- uncorrupted by modern politics, social norms, or societal ideals- are required for wisdom. Questioning everything, and going against the grain on all universally accepted norms is the path to true intelligence. The Gods notice this.

6/28/10

Of Fatsos and Toothpicks...

I, for one, grow tired of people trying to tell each other what to look like. It seems like the fat vs. skinny feud will never end. The fat people keep whining about the skinny people being sickly looking, and the skinny people keep up an ongoing discrimination campaign against the fat population. Why keep fighting over this? Everyone should worry about their own weight- no one else's.

I am not skinny, and I am not very fat. I am stalky, as in naturally muscular. Now that I am 40 I have developed a gut, but not as big as the guys that appear pregnant. I estimate that I could stand to lose 30 pounds, as I weigh 240. I already eat as healthy as I can afford, and have been exercising more lately. So when I get to it I will reach my ideal weight. In the meantime, does any skinny person have any business making fun of me or looking down upon me?

They certainly do it, and I can only imagine how the very big people feel. People who are overweight are not generally pigs. I say generally because some are. I have noticed that some enormous people in the grocery store fill their carts with candy, donuts, and pop. The candy aisle always seems to be full of fat people too. I also noticed when I was a Walmart door greeter that many of the larger people have no trouble walking into the store, but they demand an electric scooter to shop in. Most customers needed them; some really didn't. The people that didn't need them though did not bother me. It is their business, and I do not care how much they weigh or if they want the exercise of walking the store or not. It wasn't my body to worry about. When I was a convenience store cashier I sold addictive, cancer-causing drugs (tobacco) to people. When I was a bagger I handled and bagged meat packages without comment, knowing it was going to clog their arteries and give them cancer. I did my job and did not waste my energy judging people.

Just the same, I didn't dwell on the validity of anyone's claim to need a scooter. I listened to several people's stories of how the other Walmart in town refused to let them use one if the door greeter there didn't think they appeared handicapped enough. One man was refused one at the other store, came to mine, and I gave him one without question. Then he told me about his knee replacement surgery. I don't have X-ray vision so I did not judge, unlike my counterpart at the other store. I gave them out to all who asked....

The skinny persons' concept of overweight people being lazy sugar addicts is not always true, though they seem to think so. A few really do have thyroid problems, though I really think most use that as an excuse. Some have handicaps that prevent them from getting exercise, such as arthritic knees, emphysema, or very old age. Who am I, or who are you, to assess, judge, or question anyone else's medical condition? If they are that overweight because of sheer laziness, then are you going to pay a shrink to help them? I didn't think so.

The skinnies need to stop being so arrogant and leave the bigger people alone; let them be happy. By the same token- and anything less would be simple hypocrisy- the fat people need to stop haranguing the skinny ones. They can barely conceal their envy when they insult slim, pretty girls or feign concern over a model's health.

Slenderness is healthy and natural. We aren't cave people anymore and do not need to store up fat for the poor hunting and gathering over the winter months. There is no need for excess stores of body fat. We get energy from our food, and the fat is burned off when we exceed that and exercise too much, or do not eat enough. Have you ever seen a skinny person complain that they were starving? Of course some are, including American children in Appalachia and other rural areas mostly. But I am talking about happy, healthy people who are simply not overweight at all. No fat, small clothes sizes, attractive, energetic: the envy of the fat crowd.

Have you ever heard of a model collapsing from lack of fat stores to use for energy? What exactly is so sick about her, why is she so disgusting and unhealthy; a bad role model even? Because you can see she is beautiful, successful, happy, full of energy, and gets paid to stand in front of a camera. Must be rough...and all you have to do is go on that newest fad diet right? (See my diet plan in sidebar). In the meantime it is envy, pure and simple.

Anyone who has perused the pro-anorexia websites can see that most of the people on there are quite healthy looking and attractive. Anorexia is not eating much to stay slim, bulimia is eating and then vomiting on purpose to stay slim. I for one have never heard of a pro-bulimia site. They do have problems with what you could call acid reflux city. That is a problem, maybe even a mental problem as well. But the anorexics, they are just eating less to start with. If they overdo it, well, it is no worse than a fat person overdoing it and clogging their arteries to induce a heart attack.

I do not promote anorexia, but I am saying it is not as ghastly as fat people claim. The politically correct vilification of them combined with the politically correct disgust and shunning of fat people combines to make for an interesting situation. Very few people are left in the middle, which leaves most people openly hating one another based upon size difference.

Sounds like an evil social experiment. Maybe the CIA started all this nonsense...


(c) james platt

No comments:

Post a Comment

constructive comments appreciated. name calling and links deleted.